Wednesday 5 March 2014

Noisy Neighbours


As I write this blog post at my desk in my small student room at university, beside me on my wee windowsill there is a noisy, chattering group of bonnie bright yellow Siskins squabbling as they feed away on an array of sunflower hearts and niger seed. Perhaps a very noisy bunch of neighbours to have but who needs window boxes full of flowers when you can have a windowsill full of these charismatic tropical looking avian delights?!

BgTbJO1CIAA7M-U

I’ve been very lucky this year in terms of which room the university has placed me in as I am directly opposite a mature mixed woodland which is abound with wildlife from Roe Deer in the early mornings to Redwing in the afternoon and Tawny Owls at night with regular flocks of Pink-footed geese overhead. As there is so much wildlife, in particular birdlife, outside my window I decided to place a window feeder up in the hope of attracting some colourful visitors.

BdNlRvOCYAAX7sZ

One feeder soon lead to two, three, four and now five as my window is filled with Woodpeckers, Long-tailed Tits, Robins and of course those beautiful Siskins. So as you can imagine being a keen C permit ringer it wasn't long before I built my first trap and hung it outside my window.

P1110370  P1110361

Expecting to catch the odd Blue and Great Tit I was quite surprised when I started to catch the Long-tailed Tits and Robins.

BghdxW5IYAAsl20

P1130060

Before long the Siskin flocks started moving into the nearby woods and taking over the feeders. After the windowsill starting becoming very yellow… and loud I put up a couple more traps and soon started catching a good number of Siskin.

P1110703

In just a few sessions I have now ringed over 150 Siskins of which I was never expecting anywhere near that number – so much so I have currently stopped ringing as I’ve ran out of rings!

P1130086

I have also, so far, caught 7 UK controls (birds ringed elsewhere by other ringers).

P1110518

I love now that, on my days off, I am able to wake up, set the traps and be catching these beautiful birds in the comfort of my own wee room in my pyjamas! Now that’s ringing in style…

P1110977

I love catching these ‘British Canaries’ – they always brighten up my day!

*I will update my blog when I get details back from the BTO about the controlled birds.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Gillian, what a fantastic idea! How lucky are you to be next to a birdy metropolis hehe. That window trap looks genius, how does it work? And what are you studying? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg,

    Very lucky with where I live. Have a mixture of funnel and walk in traps - some triggered by me, some by the birds. I'm studying Ecology at the minute x

    ReplyDelete