Thursday 29 December 2011

A Bit O' Festive Ringing

Before heading back up to a very wet and windy Scotland on Christmas Eve I enjoyed my last few days in warm England with some ringing, ice skating and a wee trip to Windermere.

On Thursday Kane, Zac and I had a session at Atherton woods, helping Zac with his dissertation project. A busy morning's ringing included a beautiful Nuthatch (only the second one I've ringed) and a new species for the site in the form of a stunning male Bullfinch.

New recruits! 


We ended our day off by getting into the Christmas spirit by going ice skating and I think it's fair to say the lads had a good laugh watching me 'attempt' to skate!

On Friday Kane and I had the day off and did the housekeeping (topped up all of the bird feeders and cleaned the car). My poor car was clean for all of 2 hours before we went out in search of some gull rings to read and got it covered in fries and poo again!

The quick way to dirty up your freshly cleaned car!

On Christmas Eve the group met up in Windermere for a day of ringing in The Lakes. Some of us got up a wee bit early to try and catch some gulls at Preston Docks but the gulls were surprisingly uninterested in our hotdog offerings!

It was my first time at Windermere and I think it is such a quant little place. We enjoyed our day out round The Lakes and added some more gulls to the North West project as well as some Coots (can't forget the Coots). I even managed to caught my first gull on the ground, something I was finding hard to master. The highlight of the day was seeing 2A00. 2A00 was the first bird to be colour marked for the project and after being ringed at Bowness-on-Windermere spent the summer in Norway before returning back again. It was great to see him and I could see that the little porker was doing well!

2A00 - Someone's been enjoying a little too many mince pies this season!

It was soon time for me to return back to Scotland. I had a really great week and want to say a huge thanks to Kane for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment