Friday 24 February 2012

A Green Affair!



One last blog post about my ringing down in England and this time it's based on mist netting, for a change! Before moving back to Stirling there was a new site to be explored and what an amazing place. After only 3 brief morning visits over well over 100 new birds were ringed and processed!



A variety of species were caught including Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Chaffinch, Robin, Dunnock, Blue & Great Tits and Blackbird.



A high number of new Goldfinches were also processed with over 35 new birds being ringed, let's hope for some good recoveries from this lot!



A personal highlight was another new species for me in the form of a Collared Dove. Great birds and brilliant in the hand.


Gorgeous blood-red eyes


Surprisingly no Coal Tits were caught or even seen during the mist netting sessions. We did however catch quite a few wintering Blackcaps.

Ready for your close-up?!


By far the star species has to have been the Greenfinches with over 25 new birds being ringed. In the two years I have been training I have only ever ringed 15 Greenfinches in total so these new birds almost treble that! It was a fantastic way of getting my eye in on the species and I am now a lot more confident in ageing/sexing them.




These mist netting sessions were a great opportunity to help me progress towards my C permit, as I was processing large amounts of birds whilst getting the chance to practice what I have learned in terms of ageing etc. 





Huge thanks goes to Kane for helping me train towards my C permit and for allowing me to come out with him so often, also thanks goes to Ness for the photos, to our brilliant wee scribes and to the land owners for allowing us to ring on their fantastic 'mini nature reserve'.





1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! But also in debt to you as now that you are holding these tiny treasures I can see them clearly. Finally! I usually only get to see fleeting glimpses through hedges and tree branches. So beautiful. I love the Green Finch, and all of them.

    ReplyDelete