Friday 29 July 2011

My Penultimate CES at WWT Llanelli - 26th July 2011

My time in South Wales is almost up and with it will come my last Welsh ringing session (for at least a while!). On Tuesday I went to my penultimate CES at WWT Llanelli with Heather Coats and Ian Hainsworth. It was a very quiet morning with few birds but an enjoyable one none the less. I ringed 13 new birds including Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Robin and Wren.


The birds awaiting processing. Each hook number represents which net the birds came from - this information is recorded during the CES and sent to the BTO.


A stunning Dunnock. This species is often overlooked but I think they are gorgeous little birds.

For me CESs are very important not only for the information they collect about migration, survival rates and breeding success but also because they allow me the opportunity to learn about moult in migrants. I also get the chance to get to grips with ageing and sexing which is important for when I come to apply for my C permit.


Juvenile Robin


Juvenile Wren

Chiffchaff - this identity of this species is confirmed by looking at the emarginations on the wing. If the 6th primary is emarginated then it is a Chiffchaff, if the emargination only reaches the 5th primary then it is a Willow Warbler. The bird's plumage can also help identify it but the emargination is confirmation.

I also ringed a juvenile Bullfinch. I had never seen a juvenile Bullfinch before and it was great to compare it with an adult female that I also processed. Whenever I see a Bullfinch I still think of them as tiny little dinosaurs with their chunky beaks.


Juvenile Bullfinch

The Dino Beak!

Juvenile compared to adult female.

A nice little CES session was had and I also managed to see 7 slow worms (I'm a huge snake fan!). Thanks goes to Heather and Ian and I look forward to my last CES next week.


P.S I couldn't resist mentioning that WWT Llanelli have just hatched the UK's second ever Lesser Flamingo which is brilliant news for both the trust and the species. The chick has received a lot of attention from visitors and the media and has become a bit of a celeb! At the time of writing this the chick is doing well and growing fast.


The famous new arrival at WWT Llanelli

No comments:

Post a Comment